Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I call this post: Wahoo [BGmusic: Let Love In by the Goo Goo Dolls - how appropriate]

Silly me. I was burned out and wasted enough yesterday, and still I insisted on going to the fair. [Yes, UP fair na!] Excited ako masyado, because I wasn't able to go last year. Anyway, it was fun enough. [I will make kwento some other day. Or not. Read this na lang. May pictures pa.] I don't know if I'm going tonight or not. I want to go tonight, Thursday, and Friday, but... I'm not sure. I need to study. I missed my Econ102 class again awhile ago because (a) our water supply suddenly decided that it needed a break, and (b) by the time the water came back, I had fallen asleep again.



Malapit na ang Valentine's Day [as in bukas na, my gulay, how time flies]... Ah, Valentine's Day. You can just smell the twitterpation.

At dahil malapit na ang Vday, I will write about love. Ah, love. One of the most abused words in the English language, with its many variations:
  • i lab u.
  • I LAAAAAHVYUUU PIOLO/JERICHO/[INSERT STAR OF CHOICE HERE]!!!!
  • I luuuuurve hiyu.
  • and many many more.
It's a shame that we only have one word to tell people how we feel. If I'm not mistaken, the Eskimos have... fifteen words for love [? - don't take my word for that, I'm not sure]. I can think of two Tagalog words for love, but they have practically the same meaning.

Anyway, the whole point of my post is to show all of you how disappointing love can be. No, I'm not bitter or cynical or a spinster in the making [okay, maybe I am a little], I'm just saying it as it is.


LOVE [the friendship kind], and how it disappoints

They say that when lovers come and go, friends are the ones that stick when all is said and done. What they don't say is that this only applies to a select few. Who hasn't been ditched by their friend because he/she needed to cut his/her girlfriend's/boyfriend's toenails? Who hasn't cried because they weren't invited to so-and-so's birthday party, or weren't allowed into the "inner circle"? Who hasn't felt that cold stab of rejection when their once so-very-close friend suddenly started spending more time with his/her "other friends"? [I'm not bitter, I swear.]

Yes, a man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother [Pr. 18:24]. To those of you who are fortunate enough to find friends like this, congratulations. Try your best not to disappoint. Do not ditch. Do not make your friend feel unimportant. Do not lie to your friend. Love. Don't just say it, do it.


LOVE [aka twitterpation], and how it disappoints

Twitterpation [look it up/watch Bambi again, if you don't know what it means.]: He texts. Your stomach flips. The next day, he texts again. A little romance begins to blossom. There are many possible ending points [simplified, for convenience's sake]:
  1. He stops texting. You spend your nights feeling sorry for yourself, feeling ugly and unwanted because he didn't "gud am" you.
  2. He texts. Your stomach doesn't flip. You realize that it was just hormones, and nothing else. Tell him that you're just better off as friends. He could (a) totally disappear from your life, (b) actually become "just friends" with you, or (c) continue annoying you until you change your sim card.
  3. He turns out to be an ass/pathological flirt/Mariah Carey fan. The buzzer goes off. Game over.
  4. He's "wonderful". "Perfect", even. You live happily. For a while. Until you get bored of each other, and you realize that he's not so "wonderful" or "perfect" at all.
  5. He's fun to be with. Most of your conversations don't revolve around flirtation. And you live happily. Ever after? Not likely, but maybe. [Note: This is "not likely" not because I don't believe in happily ever after, but because I'm talking about twitterpation among students here, and Love in the Time of Calculus in typically not the kind of love that lasts, sadly.]

Anyway, what was my point? [Love disappoints. DUH.] Okay, so that's not entirely true. In fact, it's totally wrong. Yes, I have been misleading you for the past 10+ paragraphs. It is actually people who disappoint, regardless of whether or not they claim to love or not. Put your trust on me, and I will disappoint you sooner or later. I put my trust on you, knowing that one day, you will disappoint me. Why do we still continue to trust each other? The answer to that is... I don't know . [I have many many theories, though. So numerous and absurd are my philosophies on trust that I will not impose them on the blogworld. At least, not yet. Bwahahaha.]

But! Hephephep... There is a kind of love that hasn't disappointed me yet, and I believe will never ever disappoint me. It's the kind of love that lays down a perfect, untainted life for multitudes of filthy and rotten souls. It's unconditional, and does not rely on people to keep it alive. This kind of love, the most excellent way, never fails, always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres [1 Cor 13].

Now, I don't like being asked to "define love", but I love this definition of love:
  • Love is willing to wait instead of demanding "prove you care, now!"
  • Love keeps on being friendly to people who aren't friendly back.
  • Love doesn't hate the girl who goes out with the guy you like.
  • Love doesn't brag about your good grades or the points you scored in Friday night's game.
  • Love isn't stuck up. Love doesn't think you're better than others because your clothes are more expensive.
  • Love lets others have their turn talking. It never puts others down by acting like they don't count.
  • Love doesn't insist on getting all the credit or being one of the popular crowd.
  • Love doesn't lose its temper when a brother or sister hogs the phone or spends too much time in the bathroom.
  • Love doesn't hold grudges. It doesn't keep thinking over and over again about how someone hurt you.
  • Love doesn't think doing wrong is cool.
  • Love looks out for the interests of others.
  • Love keeps on trusting God even when the right choices you make don't turn out the way you want.
  • Love keeps on expecting the best.
  • Love doesn't give up just because something goes wrong because your feelings are hurt. God is in charge, so those who love just keep right on loving.
- 1 Cor 13:4-7 - an adaptation

Labels: , ,