Friday, December 01, 2006

I call this post: Falalalalalalalala [BGmusic: the sound of an approaching typhoon changing its mind and choosing another course]

It's advent at last, and I can finally play my Christmas carols without annoying myself [in my opinion, Christmas carols only belong during the Yuletide season, meaning mid-November - at the earliest - until January 6, but maybe that's just me.]



Not feeling very merry this Christmas?

I've felt that way as well. We all expect Christmas to feel the same as it used to when we were kids, but as we all know, it doesn't work out that way. Now, I don't have trouble sleeping before Christmas Day in painful anticipation, I don't go on my annual Search for the Gifts' Hideout, I don't jump at the sight of the first presents under the tree, and I don't shake packages in [often futile] attempts to try and guess what's inside.

It was saddening, at first, but after a while I realized that this change was a good thing, because it meant that I was finally able to see past all the buy-this-buy-that trash the media ceaselessly bombards us with from September to Christmas. Now I could focus on the real meaning of Christmas - which is, as we all know, the birth of Santa Claus Jesus.

Yeah, we've all heard the story before. He was born in a stable; he slept in a trough; he had three Oriental men gift him with gold, frankincense and myrhh; angels sang; shepherds shepherded; blah blah blah, you get the picture. It gets kind of boring after hearing it over and over again every single year. Basically, the story is deadened by the repetition, and as a result, we bring in Santa Claus and his rocket-powered reindeer to make the season more exciting.

But eventually, Santa Claus begins to bore us as well. How could he keep us captivated when he's not real?

But Jesus' birth was real [contact me if you think otherwise - we'll talk]. Why doesn't that keep most of us captivated?

Maybe we see him as yet another fictional character some very bored people made up 2000 years ago [so they could be tortured and painfully murdered by the Romans because of their belief]. Maybe we just know about him, but he's not real to us anymore. Santa Claus is more real than Jesus - we see more of the former on the latter's birthday.

Maybe we just don't understand what the implications of his birth means. His birth fulfilled prophecies from the Torah concerning his lineage and manner of birth [later on he continued to fulfill over 300 - if I recall correctly - prophecies]. Why is this so important?

Basically he was born to die. Not without reason - it was all for us. It should have been us on that cross, but he - although pure and blameless - took our punishment. Because of him, we are freed from our chains. And I hope you agree that that's more than enough reason to be merry.

:)



For more information, CLICK.

Labels: