Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I call this post: What's Your Sign [BGmusic: In the Shadows by The Rasmus]

The hair flip.

The coy smile.

The unwavering eye contact.

The giggle.

The touch on the arm.

These are a few of my unfavorite things. Flirtation and me - we go together like sago and chopped liver. It just doesn't work. The closest thing I have done that resembles flirting was back in high school,when I mustered the courage to look my crush in the eye. I don't know how to flirt [and really, I don't feel like I need to learn this... skill]. And I wouldn't be able to recognize flirtation if it hit me on the head and danced a private performance of Carmen.

Imagine how helpless I feel in my dilemma right now. Ladies and jellybeans, I need your help. See, I have this bubble. This forcefield that no-one is supposed to cross until I'm comfortable enough to tell you what color underwear I'm wearing. If any member of the opposite sex crosses that forcefield before that time, I panic: "Is he coming on to me? What did I learn in my Self-Defense for Women class again? One-two-elbow-groin-nose!"

Hindi naman ako super mafeeling [daw], but I have had some experiences when I just passed these seemingly innocent gestures as just "overly friendly behavior", only to find out that he had something else in mind. Let me illustrate. Once upon a time...
The Bribe
a one-act play by Donya Quixote
based on [many] true stories

Scene 1

Enter DQ. Enter TheGuyFriend.

TheGuyFriend: Hey, have you watched [insert name of recent film here]? Wanna watch it with me?
DQ: Nah, I don't have the time.
TheGuyFriend: Awww... why not?
DQ: I'm pretty busy.
TheGuyFriend: It's just that I don't have anybody to come with me.
DQ: Why don't you ask ____?
TheGuyFriend: Nah, they're all busy.
DQ: Hmmm.
TheGuyFriend: I'll treat you.
DQ: [thinks]
TheGuyFriend: There will be food...
DQ: Okay.
DQ Voice-over: And that, my friends, is what we call DQ's Achilles heel.

Scene 2

At the cinema. DQ is engrossed with the movie. He yawns. Stretches. Ends up with one arm around DQ's shoulder.

DQ Voice-over: Bigat naman ng kamay nito. What the heck is he doing? I wonder... No. Do. Not. Overanalyze. You are friends. Friends do not overanalyze things like this.

She tries to shrug it off, thinking that maybe he didn't know that he had his arm on her shoulder. All to no avail. She ends up watching the movie slouched forward, her elbows on the seat in front of her.

Scene 3

A fast-food place. The two are seated.

TheGuyFriend: ...and that's when she told me that...
DQ Voice-over: It's so nice that GuyFriend is treating me. He's such a nice person. No wonder we're friends. He kinda reminds me of my brother. I wonder how my brother is doing?
DQ: [chewing, nodding] Mm!
TheGuyFriend: ...but my teammate, he jumped and then...
DQ Voice-over: I'm so lucky that I have really nice guy friends I can feel safe around. I don't have to worry about whether he has other intentions, not like with other boys.
DQ: [chewing, nodding] Mm!

Scene 4

The stage is dark. Illuminated by "starlight".

TheGuyFriend: I'll walk you back.
DQ: It's just... one block away.
TheGuyFriend: Hindi, delikado.
DQ: [calculating danger function in her head] ...Ha?
TheGuyFriend: Basta.
DQ Voice-over: He treated you, don't argue.
DQ: Okay then.

They walk in silence.

TheGuyFriend: The stars look so... so... shiny.
DQ: Yeah.
TheGuyFriend: And... bright.
DQ: Yeah.
TheGuyFriend: And... really beautiful.
DQ: Yeah.
TheGuyFriend: Almost as beautiful as...
DQ: OH LOOK! HEREWEAREGOODBYE!

Scene 5

DQ is at her desk, studying. Her phone beeps. She reads her message.

TheGuyFriend Voice-over: Hi there. I enjoyed spending time with you. Thanks for your time.
DQ: [Texting.] Thank you din.
TheGuyFriend Voice-over: I want to tell you something. Don't freak out, okay?
DQ: [Pauses. Thinks. Texts.] Okay. What is it?
TheGuyFriend Voice-over: I think I like you.

Enter music: Carmina Burana. Enter masked "post-modern" dancers clad in black. Lights: red. Echo: "I think I like you... like you... I think I like... like... like..."

DQ: [in the midst of all the dancers] NOOOOOOOO!

The end. Bow.
This has happened more than a couple of times. And now... I have trust issues. My question to the world is:
How can you tell the difference between flirting, friendly flirting, or just plain friendly?
I don't want to overanalyze, but I don't want to write actions off yet again, only to be "shocked" soon afterwards by horrifying revelations. Sigh. I'm so clueless.



New template! Watcha think? I was supposed to upload this next week, but I got impatient. ;P

Labels: ,