Thursday, September 07, 2006

I call this post: Dropped (BGmusic: Silent Sigh - Badly Drawn Boy)

When I got accepted into the University of the Philippines, I was ecstatic - I found myself skipping down Session Road fighting the urge to hug everyone. It felt like everything was going my way - I got accepted into the number one school of my choice, majoring in my first choice. My future was bright. The world was a wonderful place to be, and I was experiencing its beauty in all its glory.

If I knew how stressful being a scholar of the Filipino people was going to be, I'm sure my initial reaction would have been something else altogether.

When I was a brand new freshman at UP, I had eyebags, sure, but they were barely noticeable. Fast-forward to the present day: only a year later, I have eyebags on eyebags, each layer of dark skin a scar from my battles with economics textbooks and excel spreadsheets. I have a zit on my cheek. Another on my nose. These zits only materialized after weeks of insufficient sleep.

Pardon me for the excessive self-pity, but I am still recuperating from an Econ101 exam. One that I studied for. I had three hours of sleep last night. Which is relatively normal, but first, take into consideration that I only had two hours of sleep the previous night. Awhile ago I was so light-headed, I could feel the world spinning around me. I was so hungry, I was trembling.

Freshman year was so different. I'd be sitting in my Socio10 class, and I'd be like, "I can't believe I'm here in UP." Last night, I was all, "Oo nga. Taga-UP nga ako."

Oh, and did I mention that I've dropped my Econ102 class? My professor was all nice about it, signing it with a smile and asking me, "Are you sure you want to drop?" [Even though she was the one who suggested that I should drop the class.] Sad, really, because she's one of the few professors who call me by name.

As Ernest Hemingway said, "I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" I haven't really slept in a while. Recently, I have been merely recharging. And I haven't been eating. Instead, I've been refueling. Everything seems like so much work. I'm getting too lazy to shovel food into my mouth, but since I know how skinny I already am, I force myself to eat.

Don't get me wrong, I love my school. I do. Right now, I'm not feeling the love so much, but the feeling will come back. It always does.

But right now, all I want to do is go home, and bury myself in layers and layers of blankets. Layers upon layers upon layers of blankets, to cancel out the layers upon layers upon layers of eyebags.