Saturday, August 26, 2006

I call this post: Waka-waka-doo-doo-yeah! (BGmusic: nothing. My roommate's sleeping. The wild thang stayed up all night partying. Hehe.)

What's the difference between a nerd, a geek, and a dork?

I saw this on Yahoo! and I had to check it out. I have my own definition of nerd/geek/dork, but first, I'll summarize what Yahoo! said:

NERD
  • people of above-average intelligence
  • place little importance in their appearance
  • aware of their status, but they don't mind
  • take pride at the idea of being a nerd, because it means that they're "smart and not wrapped up in superficial worries."
GEEK
  • like nerds, geeks are smart
  • tend to focus on technology
  • as Urban Dictionary explains, these are the people you make fun of in high school and later work for as an adult
DORK
  • "the biggest insult of the three"
  • "stupid" people
  • dorks assume that they're cool
  • and they smell
Now how's that for discrimination? I am appalled. As a self-proclaimed dork, I cannot allow this definition to be accepted. So here's my differentiation [the right differentiation] of the three freaks. Just to clear things up. Ahem ahem.

NERD
  • people of above-average intelligence [Yes, yes, it's true.]
  • people whose lives revolve around school/work/etc [these freaks actually enjoy studying]
  • and yes, they are generally unattractive. Bwahahahahaha. Kidding. [Or maybe not.]
GEEK
  • not necessarily smart, but they usually are
  • generally not athletic
  • enjoys [and more often than not, obsessed with] "geeky stuff" - video games, comic books, anime, the internet, etc.
DORK
  • has odd interests, and is often silly at times, usually uncool [but in this exceptional case, manages to stay - teehee - cute]
  • while old school geeks and nerds tend to continue to accept an "outsider" status and maintain an elite club mentality amongst themselves, dorks generally tend to do the opposite
  • but they are very socially inept
My family is composed of all three. We're all combinations of the three, but we have our dominant characteristics. My dad is a nerd, all the way, and so is my sister. I'm the dork, my brother's the geek. And my mom's none of the above - she's a [gasp] social butterfly. I guess all families have to have a freak. [Peace tayo, ma!]

Anyhoo... Watching Strangerhood. Bwahahaha. I heart Wade.