Monday, July 31, 2006

I call this post: Naiihi ako [BGmusic: A Minor Incident - Badly Drawn Boy]

Mondays are so painful. Wouldn't it be nice if we had five days of rest and two days of work instead of the other way around?

Awhile ago I almost didn't wake up. Either my alarm didn't go off, or I must have turned it off when I was still in dreamland. Umuulan. I woke up when I heard someone say "walang pasok", only to find out na may pasok pala. [Boohoo. Boohoo.]

I like this kind of weather, though. The heavy rains and the cold wind. It's just like Baguio. The rain can be a pain in the backside, because somebody stole my umbrella and now I'm stuck with one of those giant family umbrellas. Wa-poise, but what can I do? [Kanina nga, di ko na ginamit yung umbrella. Bitbit ko lang. I just put on my hood and walked through the rain umbrella-less. Nakakahiya kasi. Sobrang laki.]



Have any of you heard of Top of the Pops? I think they used to air it in ABC5 or Studio 23. I'm not sure. It was a chart show. They showed the top 20 UK singles. Anyway, I used to watch it when we still lived in England. Every single Friday. I was nine when I first watched the show. I even remember the first performer - I doubt that any of you have heard of her, but it was Louise. Her song was crap, but I loved the show. I think the Number One single at the time was It's Like That by Run DMC [uber catchy, will download it later to reminisce].

Anyway, why am I sharing this with you?

I'm getting there.

This show made such a huge impact on my musical preferences. I didn't care much about music before - I listened to whatever my sister listened to [Backstreet Boys, Backstreet Boys, and more Backstreet Boys]. Because of TOTP, I learned I learned that Britney can't sing live, and that Robbie Williams was a badass performer. I learned the dance steps of Steps because of TOTP. With TOTP, I memorized the lyrics of my favorite 5ive songs. TOTP introduced me to bands like the Manic Street Preachers, Cornershop, Oasis, Blur, Bush, Catatonia, to pop groups like B*Witched [ack], 911 [eck], Westlife [ick], S Club 7 [ock], The Vengaboys [uck], and to legends like Cher, Tom Jones, and Prince.

Again, why am I sharing this with you?

I found out that the show has finally stopped airing. After forty-two years, the BBC decided that TOTP has reached its conclusion. The last episode was aired July 30.

I felt really bad when I first heard about it [last week - late talaga ako pagdating sa balita]. Although I don't watch the show anymore, it was part of my life, you know? I thought it would be there forever [I mean, come on, it has been around for FORTY-TWO YEARS]. And now, it's not. A part of my childhood is gone. [I know it sounds more than a little melodramatic, but it's true.]

Bummer.

Wala na akong masabi.